On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Anders Darander <and...@chargestorm.se> wrote:
> * Hans Beckérus <hans.becke...@gmail.com> [140121 13:12]:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.becke...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Indeed  (from our .config):
>
>> > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
>> > CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

>> > Sounds reasonable. But, when moving from ext2.gz to cpio.xz, we still
>> > did not add any init script for mounting /dev, yet it is still created
>> > and populated? But only with a very limited set of devices.
>> > I guess there is a difference when the kernel mounts the cpio.xz image
>> > compared to expanding the ext2.gz in RAM with respect to how /dev is
>> > handled. But I am only guessing here.
>
> I'm running a slow build of poky-tiny on an overloaded machine... Maybe
> I can get back to those question in a while.

No problem. Take your time ;)

>> Another thing, You say CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT does *not* automount /dev
>> if using the initrd scheme?
>> But I think it did when using the compressed ext2 file system? How
>> come /dev was mounted and populated automatically in the ext2 case but
>> when we changed to cpio.xz things seem to break?
>
> This one can I at least answer.
>
> It's because that's how devmtpfs is implemented in the kernel.
>
> "This option does not affect initramfs based booting, here the devtmpfs
> filesystem always needs to be mounted manually after the roots is
> mounted." quote taken from the help text of CONFIG_DEVMTPFS_MOUNT, see
> your kernel tree or e.g.
> http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DEVTMPFS_MOUNT.html

Well, I do not think this is absolutely true, or I have misunderstood something.
But we do not *use* the initramfs scheme, we use initrd in both ext2
and cpio case.
So, what from what I can tell we use the initrd scheme  and /sbin/init.
And if CONFIG_DEVMTPFS_MOUNT is only affected the initramfs scheme
then it should work similar for initrd for both the ext2 and the cpio
case, which obviously is not the case.