On 04/03/2015 02:43 PM, Yu, Chan KitX wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Yu, Chan KitX
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 2:30 PM
To: 'Paul Eggleton'
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: RE: [yocto] Kernel Panic: /sbin/init not found

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Eggleton [mailto:paul.eggle...@linux.intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 7:37 PM
To: Yu, Chan KitX
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org

Hi Chan Kit,

On Thursday 02 April 2015 09:25:35 Yu, Chan KitX wrote:
My Yocto build environment was working perfectly until last week
when I got kernel panic caused by missing/sbin/init. When I examined
the image, I found that /sbin/init is indeed absent from the root image.
To troubleshoot the issue, I tried building a stock Yocto whose
target platform is 64-bit machine using a  freshly installed Ubuntu
14.04 from
another build machine.
  Despite that, the kernel panic still occurs and that's the main
reason I'm writing here; that is to see if anyone else has the same
issue. I did not make any change or any customization to local.conf
aside from setting MACHINE to 64 bit and adding the following lines
which
enable multilib:
IMAGE_INSTALL = "lib32-connman"
require conf/multilib.conf
MULTILIBS = "multilib:lib32"
DEFAULTTUNE_virtclass-multilib-lib32 = "x86"

I would be more than happy to provide necessary diagnostic message
shall you request so. Let me know if you guys are able to reproduce
this
issue.

What version of the build system are you using? What exact image are
you building? What image output type are you trying this with (ext3 / live /
etc.)?
What is your MACHINE value?
Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.24.0"
BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-14.04"
TARGET_SYS        = "x86_64-poky-linux"
MACHINE           = "valleyisland-64"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.7.1"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "m64 corei7"
TARGET_FPU        = ""
meta
meta-yocto
meta-yocto-bsp    = "dizzy:ec75238f6cc2d2d8d40e0268f6d2acc070cbe9a4"
meta-intel
meta-valleyisland = "dizzy:c39a4bf4450845fca6f1b26ccfc0db192a4567e8"

The above is the build configuration. As of the image that I was trying to
build, I did the hddimg and iso. I got the KP issue from using the iso image. I
thought the issue might have to do with the meta-valleyisland so I switched
to genericx86-64 instead. No luck.

Can you attach the manifest file for the image
that is broken?
Attached.

UPDATE: I tried disabling the multilib feature by commenting out the
following in local.conf:

IMAGE_INSTALL = "lib32-connman"

The problem is that you set IMAGE_INSTALL to "lib32-connman".

You should use the following.
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " lib32-connman"
(Note there's a white space before lib32-connman in the assignment above.)

Regards,
Chen Qi

require conf/multilib.conf
MULTILIBS = "multilib:lib32"
DEFAULTTUNE_virtclass-multilib-lib32 = "x86"
Argh...I forgot to mention the main thing; that is the KP issue disappears iff
I disable the multilib by removing/commenting those lines. As happy as I am
since I found the root cause, I really need the multilib feature and hopefully
we can dig deeper from here to fix this.

Chan Kit