On 5/31/2015 8:16 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
On Friday 29 May 2015 14:41:37 Trevor Woerner wrote:
Hi Ed,

On 05/27/15 16:32, Ed Sutter wrote:
This year I have two ongoing iMX6 based linux projects, and may need
to use a beaglebone
or RPi for some other small project.

The point of the above detail is that I'd like to backup a bit and
attempt to use Yocto to
organize all four of these with one instance of Yocto/Poky.  Is that
practical?
Yes, that would be a great idea!Have a look at angstrom, for example:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org. They build one distro for a whole
bunch of different machines. As such, they start with a whole bunch of
different layers, most of which are BSP layers, and then simply do:

$ MACHINE=<machine> bitbake <image>

e.g.

$ MACHINE=raspberrypi2 bitbake angstrom-image
$ MACHINE=beaglebone bitbake angstrom-image

and build the exact same image for a bunch of different boards/machines.

They've recently switched to using a repo manifest (which I think is a
great idea): https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest

I've been playing around with doing essentially the same thing for a
"poky" distribution here (but it's still a work-in-progress and not
really ready for prime time yet): https://github.com/twoerner/layer-repos

   Seems

to me that is the ideal goal of Yocto, but I don't see many BSPs
listed under the project
downloads page.
Take a look here:
http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers this is
the "master" list of all the "known" layers, recipes, etc. As you can
see, there are quite a few BSP layers.
Furthermore, you can click on the "Machines" tab i.e.

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/machines/

Type in a keyword (or leave the box empty to see all) and hit Search, and
you'll see a list of the matching machines provided by all the layers in the

Cheers,
Paul

Trevor & Paul,
Ok, thanks much.  I'll dig into this more now.
By the way, the page that gave me the impression there were very
few BSPs is this: https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps
Clicking on "Board Support Packages" and using <Any> and <ARM>
for "YP Core Release" and "Processor Family" respectively.

--
Ed Sutter
Alcatel-Lucent Technologies -- Bell Laboratories