On 06/26/2015 04:16 PM, Jon Szymaniak wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.bur...@intel.com <mailto:ross.bur...@intel.com>> wrote:

    On 26 June 2015 at 05:16, Jon Szymaniak <jon.szyman...@gmail.com
    <mailto:jon.szyman...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        GitHub provides this ability to download repository contents at
        a specified changeset as a zip file. This is generally *much*
        quicker
        than fetching the entire git repository.

    Github also can and will regenerate these tarballs whenever it
    feels like it, so you'll need to periodically update the
    checksums.  Obviously as existing developers will tend to have the
    tarballs cached locally, it can be a while before this failure is
    reported back.

    A better solution might be to add support for "depth" to the git
    fetcher, so you can grab just the commit you are interested in
    instead of the entire repository.

    Ross

Hi Ross,

Excellent point about the regeneration potentially yielding different checksums. I suppose they could change the compression level they use at any moment in time... I'll look into adding that depth support to the fetcher, as that doesn't look too hard at all.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, as this was just a first stab at it. I've been seeing that cloning this git repo containing binary firmware blobs takes an absurd amount of time, if it even finishes at all successfully.

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Any news about this? I have also used a very similar changeset like you suggests (use .zip from github) ontop of meta-raspberrypi when building, to get rid of the annoying problem that it takes a very long time or even worse that you get a timeout.

My suggestion is to go for the .zip changeset at least until --depth=1 is supported in the git fetcher.

@Andrei any comments from your side regarding this discussion?

BR,
Petter