Hi Robert,

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 06:18:34 AM Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   specifically in the context of powerpc systems, are there any
> suggestions for an image that could be used to boot an older powerpc
> system, running completely out of ram, and using that as an install
> utility which would then be responsible for detecting/formatting a
> hard drive, creating/formatting filesystems, downloading/installing
> the OS, post-install configuration and so on?

I am not entirely sure if I understand your requirements correctly but this
https://github.com/mendersoftware/mender[1] could eventually be a starting
point. The good news is that it already comes with YP/OE recipes and
integration. However, it's currently only for ARM-based systems with u-boot.

Another approach, though still in its infancy and a simple PoC, is the GENIVI
Software Management (SWM). At the core, there are SqashFS images that may
contain partition images, software packages, configuration files, etc. together
with a manifest (JSON) that instructs the SWM what to do.
(https://github.com/GENIVI/genivi_swm)[2]

Cheers,
:rjs

--------