On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 10:59:37 +0300
Ionel Badisor <ionelbadi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/2016 08:55 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 May 2016 10:39:03 +0300
> > Khem Raj <raj.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can you override the whole PV
> >
> > I've given this another look and I can get the recipe to parse if I
> > require linux-raspberrypi.inc before setting PV instead of
> > afterwards. However do_kernel_configme then gets confused looking
> > for a "standard/raspberrypi" configuration. It only works if I
> > modify linux-raspberrypi.inc as per my patch and set PV before
> > requiring that include file.
> >
> > I'm starting to think that I might be doing something wrong here -
> > is there a supported way to build a kernel from an archive instead
> > of a git repository within OE?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul Barker
> >
> Are you trying to avoid repeated cloning operation to save bandwith
> and time or you are trying to save disk space?

I'm trying to reduce "time to first build" on a new build machine as
well as the amount of space/bandwidth needed to mirror downloaded
files.

Instead of setting PV in each recipe I could just duplicate
linux-raspberrypi.inc into my own layer with the change I need. That's
probably the simplest approach for now, I'll just have to keep my eye
on meta-raspberrypi going forward for any changes to
linux-raspberrypi.inc which I'd need to incorporate.