>> Is it only possible to use the special
>> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>> license for licenses not already placed in the main license directory?
>
> Yes, there's special-case logic for 'CLOSED'.  Can you not just use that for
> your internal pieces?  It's special-cased in a few places.

I can use CLOSED.  I just wanted to ensure I was following the recommended or
best practice.

As this is an internal thing it should be OK for now.  I was wondering what
would happen if a closed licenses was updated, as nothing would currently note
the md5 change.

The mega manual mentions CLOSED in 7 places.  One of those places also lists
"Proprietary" as a value so I could used either in some cases.  Based on my
reading of the manual "Proprietary" would not be exempt from setting up the
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM, but CLOSED would be.