On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Paul Barker <pbar...@toganlabs.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Andreas Müller <schnitzelt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Andrei Gherzan <and...@gherzan.ro>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Andreas,
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Andreas Müller <
> schnitzelt...@gmail.com>

> decides
> meta-raspi-light
> know I
> >>>

> >> I will always advocate against forks but definitely that is an option
> too.
> >> What I want to understand is why maintaining it in meta-raspberrypi was
> >> painful. Basically, the question is how do you currently maintain,
> rebase
> >> etc the rt patch? I would expect it to happen in a git tree as well.
> Isn't
> >> that the case?
> >>
> > I maintained it this way:
> >
> > * Set new kernel version
> > * Check if there is an update at RT-Kernel. If so update the patch.
> > * Rebuild the kernel. In case a patch does not apply cleanly, I use git
> > inside of oe work-shared folder, check/align for hunks failing and insert
> > them manually into original patch. From my experience there are usually
> very
> > few hunks to touch so this is no rocket science.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> So, my thinking was that if you're going through the effort of getting
> the -rt patches to apply to the rpi kernel, I'd like to see that
> available to non-OpenEmbedded users. I think a linux-raspberrypi-rt
> kernel tree would be a useful think to make available as a standalone
> project, which we can then pull into meta-raspberrypi as a simple
> recipe.
>
> My complaint with having the entire -rt patch in the meta-raspberrypi
> repo was that it's a huge, un-reviewable blob. Multi-thousand line
> patches are now less painful with review happening on GitHub now
> though - they at least don't upset my email workflow anymore :)
>
> Could you try handling this in git by merging the -rt kernel branch
> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-st
> able-rt.git/log/?h=v4.9-rt)
> into the linux-raspberrypi branch regularly instead of by applying the
> -rt patch manually? Any merge conflicts could be handled cleanly that
> way and it would give us something we could bisect properly in case of
> any bugs. The resulting git repository could be published online as
> something like 'linux-raspberrypi-rt' if this works.
>
> This is basically my opinion though, there is no one true Right Way
> (TM) to do this. If you decide it's still easier for you to handle
> this as a patch in the meta-raspberrypi layer then I'm happy to
> support that.
>
> Good suggestion - but:

1. you overestimate the RT-patching process / errors caused by RT
2. I would like to keep RT and non-RT kernel versions in sync
3. I see more efforts which don't buy me anything personally

My dislike (3.) might be increased by the fact that I

* (try to) maintain >400 recipes and contribute to others more or less for
'fun' and due to that I am not keen on some extra duty
* am an old man afraid of changing bad habits :)

However: there is no time pressure on this matter and I am looking forward
to discuss this with you (and others) at FOSDEM. I am sure we'll find a
solution/compromise there.

Andreas