I am trying to build a Linux kernel with a custom defconfig and am getting
inconsistent builds.  On a fresh/new run of "bitbake virtual/kernel" I get an
incorrect kernel (zImage is ~1.1M in size).  If I then do a "bitbake -c
cleanall virtual/kernel" and then rerun "bitbake virtual/kernel" I get a good
kernel (zImage is ~4.6M).  I am using Yocto Sumo and standard Poky from
git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git and only my custom kernel recipe and machine via
a custom meta layer.

My meta layer can be found at https://gitlab.com/cjmeyer/meta-socfpga and the
builds I am running target the "arria10" machine.  The defconfig I am using in
the recipe is generated using "ARCH=arm make socfpga_defconfig" with the same
Kernel sources being used in the recipe.  I then copy the generated ".config"
file to my "defconfing" in my kernel recipe.

To reproduce the bad zImage after a successful run, I delete all files and
directories from the Yocto build directory except for the "conf" directory.
After doing this, rerunning "bitbake virtual/kernel" results in a bad zImage
again (~1.1M in size).  Comparing the ".config" in the kernel build directory
in my Yocto build directory after a bad zImage is generated shows many, many
differences to the defconfig from the recipe (I used a diff tool that
understands kernel config files so it diffed the config, next the text).

This leads me to believe that the configuration steps in my builds are not
running consistently or correctly but I am not sure why.

cmeyer