On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 22:18, Philip Prindeville
<philipp_s...@redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
> I’ve worked on a lot of embedded projects involving cross-building (like
> AstLinux and OpenWrt), but I’m new to Yocto so please bear with the noob
> questions.
>
> I’d like to build packages (mostly RPM’s, plus a Linux kernel or three) on an
> x86_64 (AMD64) Linux (CentOS 7.6) platform, but for e500v2 and 85xxDP PPC
> targets.
>
> What do I need to do to set up a toolchain and environment to be able to do
> that?

First, you need to figure out which BSP layer provides support for
your targets. What boards are you targeting?

> Ideally, I’d also like to set up an RPM target so I could use “rpmbuild
> --target e500v2-unknown-linux” (or whatever) and it would use the correct
> compiler, linker, archiver, sysheaders, etc.
>
> Advice on both of these, or just pointers to instructions on how to set it
> all up, would be great.

I'd suggest you start with the yocto quickstart guide, so you'll know
the basic procedures.
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/brief-yoctoprojectqs/brief-yoctoprojectqs.html

> For instance, do I need one compiler only that can handle multiple processor
> variants via the --march= flag, or is this not the right way to go?  And
> similarly, since the linker can rewrite code (shortening branch offsets,
> peep-hole optimization, unreachable code removal, etc.) do I need different
> linker versions for the 2 PPC variants?

This is what BSP layers do, they define a target machine (which
includes compiler and linker settings), and give it a name. Then you
place that name in your configuration file, and the target build
process will sort itself out.

Alex