Which startup system do you use (sysVinit or systemd)? You can take a look at poky/meta/classed/update-rc.d.bbclass which checks various parameters and try to debug it (by adding some printouts). By my guess is that some misconfiguration between systemd/sysvinit must cause this issue.

Adding DISTRO_FEATURES_remove += " sysvinit" to my distro conf file, solved the problem.

I also have DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFULL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit" in my config (also had it during the failed builds), I thought it would prevent sysvinit from being added/backfilled to the DISTRO features ? So I'm not sure why DISTRO_FEATURES_remove is also required in this case ?

                - Morné