As others have suggested, I recommend Yep for PDFs. I would not store PDFs in Yojimbo. Yep stores the PDFs in the filesystem so your changes would get saved to back to the original file. It functions much like iPhoto does but for PDFs. For more general file management, you might look at Leap from the same developers. Leap leaves your files in the filesystem--it does not use a database like Yojimbo does. Leap is really a Finder from a different perspective that happens to manage tags. It is not suitable for storing quick notes, passwords, etc. like Yojimbo. Both Yep and Leap do use a database for storing metadata such as tags but not the original files:

http://www.yepthat.com/

You might also consider EagleFiler. It uses the filesystem to store your files so you could open the PDF in Preview or Skim and changes would get saved. EagleFiler does support quick text notes too. Unlike Yojimbo, it supports hierarchical folders and multiple libraries. But unlike Yojimbo, you can't encrypt individual items in a library...but you can encrypt an entire library. It also doesn't support true .Mac syncing but it can store it's library on an iDisk or other shared disk. EagleFiler also works with TimeMachine and Yojimbo does not.

http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/

I have been using Yojimbo for a long time and evaluated all existing options at the time before settling on Yojimbo. At the time, .Mac syncing was the selling point since I absolutely need access to my data on multiple computers and don't want to bother with manual syncing. However, I'm seriously considering a switch to EagleFiler or some other system because of Yojimbo's lack of support for TimeMachine (and the developer's attitude that "it's Apple's problem") as well as the lack of hierarchical folders. After giving tagging a good faith effort, I still prefer folders or a combination of the two -- especially since Yojimbo's Smart Collections are not very smart at all. Based on traffic on this list, Yojimbo seems unlikely to support either better Smart Collections or hierarchical folders any time soon.

Regards
--Rhet