It doesn't matter to me whether you:
a) copy all third-party licenses text directly into the LICENSE file
(the messiest option), or
b) list the name of all licenses and point to each of them (see what
James is doing for this option:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/LICENSE.txt), or
c) put a single sentence at the top of bottom of the LICENSE file that
refers to a separate file with a list of all third-party licenses
(this sounds closest to what you've suggested below).

Any of those options are fine, as long as someone reading the LICENSE
file can find all the applicable licenses without having to try to dig
through every directory in the entire distro.

Make sense?

Cliff