Hi Gank!,

FYI, masalah disiplin.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:13:39 +0700
From: "Ir. G. Hidayat Tjokrodjojo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "APKOMINDO-list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "GENETIKA@yahoogroups.
com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [apkomindo-umum] FW:
[rotaryd3400] Jakarta Post Sunday 3-3-02.

Saudara, demikian juga ketika kita mengadakan seminar dsbnya...
Banyak kali, pembicara langsung meninggalkan tempat atau datng just
before membahas makalahnya...
sehingga saat diskusi atau tanya jawab sudah nggak ditempat lagi ....
Dibawah saya sharingkan pendapat Maulana Sukarna,

  -Maulana Sukarna The Jakarta Post Sunday 3-3-02.

     When Will We Learn Discipline?

  A recent one-day bilateral conference involving a Japanese aid
organization and a professional association from Indonesia once again
gave me a lot of insights on what makes a nation great - and what has
debased a previously great nation.

  That morning half an hour before the opening session started, all the
Japanese guests were already seated in their assigned places. The
printouts of all their presentations for the entire day were already
fotocopied and made available to all guests. The speaker's notebook
computer was connected to the video projector and his Power Point slide
was loaded and ready to run with just a tap on the spacebar.

  The keynote speaker from the Indonesian side, however arrived two
minutes before the session was supposed to start.There were no Power
Point slides from him,ofcourse and the hardcopy of the text of his
keynote speech was not available until later in the day

  The keynote speeches were followed by a coffee break.Again before the
break was over,the Japanese were seated in the conference room.Their
Indonesian counterparts, on the other hand, trickled into the room after
the session had already started.

  As it happened, the Indonesian speaker, who was supposed to deliver
the first presentation of the session, was still nowhere in sight. It
was quite an awkward situation, as he had earlier informed the
conference committee that he would have to catch a plane to Singapore
right after his presentation. The committee finally requested the
Japanese speaker to go first with his presentation.

  Then came the lunch break. The next Indonesian speaker for the session
right afterwards arrived around 15 minutes before the end of the
break.Unfortunately she did not immediately ask her assistant to get her
Power Point presentation ready even though there was still ample time to
do so.So when everybody was already seated and her session had already
started,we all had to wait until her notebook completed the long booting
process.

  What made it more interesting was that the notebook seemed to be
loaded with so many software bells and whistles on it that it took ages
until her PPT file was loaded,To her credit , the woman's presentation
was the best from the Indonesian side. The Japanese speaker after her
was as prepared as the others before him.

  Later in the afternoon, a closed session was scheduled to discuss how
the Japanese organization would be able to help us.

  When the time came to start the meeting, the speaker for the
Indonesian group suddenly disappeared. Because the Japanese had long
took their seats -as always- I decided to go out to look for him.

  I found him in the upstair lobby talking on his cell phone.

  As the meeting went on,the people on the Indonesian side kept leaving
and reentering the meeting room,including the group speaker and the
president of our association. I could not see how we could ever be able
to maintain a clear thread of discussion with these key people always in
and out all the time, but that was what happened.

  Meanwhile the Japanese stayed glued to their chair throughout the
meeting. Granted they were here to offer us assistance, but it was
pretty obvious that their Indonesian counteroarts were more concerned
with their own business.

  And then there were those annoying cell phones. One of these even
started to beep as its owner was making a suggestion to the Japanese
group. Interestingly, instead of simply pressing the on/off button to
switch it off, he took the time to pick it up and answered the call -
and then resumed his comment.

  It was a very amusing,enlightening and at the same time indescribably
embarrassing day for me.But, at least it once again made me realize what
distinguishes the developed world from the developing world.

  While I was deeply embarrassed by the level of insensitivity so
starkly demonstrated by my countrymen, I also learned then that people
from a refined culture such as the Japanese know how to respect their
hosts and were still willing to show a high level of courtesy although
they were not receiving much of it in return.

  I was also reminded that in advanced cultures-whether western or
eastern-a high level of discipline, thorough planning and attention to
minute details are just some of the most crucial underpinnings.

  Can we Indonesians ever acquire these traits?

  Absolutely no offense intended
  Tjoet Rachman

end of forwaded 8<-

--