Hi all,

This all sounds very good to me .. i guess it is very easy to conclude that we will never be a us-based distro .. with all the legal BS going on in the us .. they want to copy this mess over to the eu .. btw .. glad to say .. it is not so far yet :)

I read something on osnews today that sun allows shipping java's sun on installation iso's as well from now on .. under a new license .. for more info look on osnews.com .. also they said they are going to opensource java finally .. but when and how is not known yet i understood from the article ..

Coming back to kat and beagle .. what i have seen from both kat and beagle so far i am much more impressed with beagle than kat atm .. but i think i will pursue both for my packaging .. to give people a choice ..

Waiting for some US folks to be convinced that us europeans and kiwi's and other nations .. to cut a long story short .. us non US folks .. we do pay our bills .. and pay it upfront .. :)
lol .. well .. i guess the buildserver will be up some time soon again .. keeping the faith .. :)

Regards,

Johnbon

On 5/17/06, Tobias Gerschner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > AFAIK, it really depends on where the distro is registrated. US-based
> > distros need to be way more careful with those patent-issues as e.g.
> > shipping mp3 support out of the box is considered illegal in the US,
> > while it is perfectly legal in many european countries. I don't know of
> > the current law in New Zealand, but I guess that Andreas Girardet
> > initially thought about those problems before releasing the first Yoper
> > with Nvidia drivers included. In any case, Tobias could ask Andreas on
> > that topic. If Andreas does not know anything about this law stuff, then
> > we would need to do some research on our own, I guess.
>

>  Valid point. Agreed.

Well, mp3 is not a problem in New Zealand at all. So this is something
we really don't have to worry about.

cheers

--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.