Hi,

I am happy to inform you that aiglx now works reliable on the yoper
kde desktop. Right now it involves a bit manual work , but with your
support we can make it work 'out-of-the-box' in Yoper.

For the moment I just describe how I was able to set it up on my
laptop with a Mobility Radeon 9600 M10.

next steps apply for anyone

1) create /modify  ~/.xprofile
copy and paste the following lines to a terminal as regular user !

cat >> ~/.xprofile << "EOF"
#!/bin/sh
beryl &
export KDEWM=/usr/bin/aquamarine
EOF
chmod +x ~/.xprofile << "EOF"

2) install required packages as root!

smart update
smart install beryl-core beryl-dbus beryl-manager beryl-plugins
beryl-settings aquamarine

3 >> modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf << as root ! , make sure to keep a
backup copy somewhere !

This may only be valid for my graphic card. Please check out the
various posts how to modify the settings in your xorg.conf according
to YOUR graphic card ( use lspci to figure that out)

to be added to :

Section "ServerLayout"
       Option "AIGLX" "true"

Section "Device"
       Option          "DRI"                   "true"
       Option          "ColorTilling"          "on"
       Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "true"
       Option          "AccelMethode"          "EXA"
       Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
       Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
       Option          "AGPMode"               "4"

Section "DRI"
       Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
  Option "Composite" "true"
EndSection

For those who NOT own an ATI card : Be happy, you're done just :

Log out from your existing section and switch to a VT other than 7 (
CTRL + ALT + F2 )
login as root

issue '/etc/init.d/kdmctrl restart'

Log back in. You should be set

For anyone with an ATI / Radeon card keep reading :

Fixing the yoper kernel <<

The current Yoper kernel does not have the RADEON DRM module enabled.
So the kernel needs to be recompiled for anyone with ATI / RADEON Card
! The next Yoper kernel will have the features properly set, but for
now it just works this way . Users with other graphic cards don't need
to recompile the kernel !

as root :

make sure you have 700 MB of free space on your root partition
cd /usr/src
smart install kernel-source
cd linux
nano .config
change this to :
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
safe the file
nano Makefile
change EXTRAVERSION to some other value to prevent overwriting your
current Kernel (this example uses -new)
make ( and drink a coffee, watch a movie, whatever ... )
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-new
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.17-new
cp .config /boot/config-2.6.17-new
yaird -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-new 2.6.17-new

modify your bootloader to be able booting that kernel ( add that
kernel , do not delete the existing kernel configuration)

Reboot and you should be set, too :)

Please tell us your experience. We're keen to get that working out of
the box :) .

For the records: I got Xgl working too and it's amazingly faster than
AIGLX here. Tough it seems the xgl server is too buggy. So I won't
bother with a guide yet.

regards

--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Linux Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.