And to the list :D

Thanks Kaneri.Tonight I will check it out.

On 1/18/07, Kaneri Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Chaks,

The package you are missing is called docbook-style-xsl. If you
installed gnome-base, then that has everything listed as required.
But, there are definitely bugs. I had to remove the .gconf and .gconfd
.gnome .gnome2 hidden files from my home dir as well, each time I
install because the gnome packages read the config data there. So when
there are changes they sometimes aren't noticed because these config
files are still telling gnome what is where etc.

Because I don't use gnome, there are some things I don't know. Such as
menu configuration and how to write proper desktop menu files. So I am
going with what is feault, or is easily modified from fedora.

As far as a build order, I used the garnome install scripts as a guide
along with the Gentoo and LFS instructions for gnome. I couldn't see a
clear guide on the Gnome site. The one you found looks good.

Cheers,

Kaneri

On 1/18/07, Chakkaradeep C C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tested gnome in that way and got many errors -especially startup
errors
> and some of the panels, when I add, thy display a message prompting that
> there was an error and me want to delete the component or not :(. I was
not
> able to apply any gnome-theme or gnome-icon-theme even though the
packages
> were installed.
>
> So, after dwelling into the gnome packages in the repo, I thought I
could
> test from source.
>
> I downloaded all the sources. I dont wanted to go with garnome or
jhbuild
> scripts.
>
> Currently am stuck with two problems,
>
> 1) Repos dont have docbook-xsl packages whereas docbook-dtdt is present
and
> thus am not able to compile gtk2-doc package. But, this package is
already
> in the repo.I am not aware how the docbook-xsl package was deselcted
becoz,
> there is no option in configure script too.
>
> 2) While compiling pango, the configure fails by telling that CAIRO does
not
> have any backend like freetype, W32 etc.,. As far as smart, I have
searched
> and installed cairo, cairo-devel, freetype,freetype-devel, freetype1,
> freetype1-devel
>
> Am following the document available here
>
> Kaneri, I would be happy if you could give out your steps you followed
> compile so that I can also test here. I think we need to still tweak
gnome
> packages or If you think I had done some mistake in installing packages
from
> repo, it would be nice if you could give me the steps on what should be
> installed in sequence.( I doubt I have done right, since smart installs
> dependencies too if not installed :D)
>

> On 1/18/07, Kaneri Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> > Hi Chaks,
> >
> > There are new packages in the repo's now. Particularly gnome-base.
> > That should install everything you need for gnome except the gnome
> > audio package. It hasn't been built yet.
> >
> > Install it, then from the kdm screen choose gnome as your desktop and
> > then login.
> >
> > Once into the desktop you will have to add the main menu icon to the
> applet bar.
> >
> > It helps if you remove all the gnome/gconf settings before logging in.
> > At least it did for me.
> >
> > I would love help getting it set up thouugh, I am not a gnome user and
> > would appreciate any help you could give with getting it running
> > properly.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Kaneri Warren
> >
> > On 1/17/07, Chakkaradeep C C <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Trying to run Gnome and installed lordtweety's packages from repos.
But,