Great news Thumbs Up
I'm with you throughout
i wish i could contribute
but for now all i can do is stand by and be supportive

On 3/7/07, Tobias Gerschner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

some words about the upcoming release.

I tried to get as many people involved for this release as possible.
And there has been big efforts from many people making me look forward
to work with all the contributors. Yet releases get still delayed.
There is no one to blaim, other than me being in charge of it. So I
need to get myself more into release mode.

Yoper is a desktop focused distro. At it's current state it is quite
usable for this purpose. It even offers a range of tools out of the
box that are rare to find on other distros or take some effort to get
them installed. Yoper is not the ultimate answer, but it's damn fast
and easy to use for day to day tasks. I have problems releasing
something incomplete, but hey I am using this Yoper version since I
started developing it and it served me pretty well. To make Yoper
better we need more developers. So it is actually time to get the
release out.

So here's my last proposal for the release schedule and this one is
set in stone. I am gonna stick to the dates, whatever has been done or
has not been done. This is not meant to offend someone but just to set
the signal to the public, that we're back in business.

Official BETA Release is on 23rd of March. That gives 2 weeks. That
release will be based on what we have now. The following release
flavors are planned: SLIM ISO, REGULAR ISO, DVD with all rpms from
rocketfuel and a live CD. The LIVE CD may get delayed.

4 Weeks after that will be the final release. Those 4 weeks are only
available to fixes. No random changes to rocketfuel anymore. Final
release will be around the 6th of April .

I am keen to help anyone to get done , whatever he wants to get
included to rocketfuel for this release. But please ask yourself, what
you can achieve realistically in 2 weeks. I can support ppl but the
real effort is to be done by the individual contributor.

Most of the time I'll be busy preparing the release. There is a
reliable benchmark testing planned that should run on different
distros as well. This should show that Yoper IS faster . Background: A
colleague of mine and I did a test some months back ( out of plain
curiosity) and it showed that Yoper was quite a number faster. The
numbers were so incredible that it would just be plain wrong to not
use them.

And it has to be a repeatable test. Quite some time will go on the
data presentation side as well. I want to make clear statements and
there should be no doubt at all that the data is massaged or tweaked.
So there's a lot of documentation to do.

Further work will go into improving the look and feel of Yoper. I am
personally handicapped at this and really rely on community effort. I
just suck at eye candy.

So let's get it done.

regards
--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Linux Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.