From: "Tobias Gerschner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Yoper Development List" <yoper-dev@lists.yoper.com>
Subject: [yoper-dev] koffice vs. OpenOffice
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:23:24 +1200

Hi,

we have now 2 major office suites in Yoper koffice and openoffice.

Koffice is about 60 MB big and obviously the better choice for low end
systems because it reuses libraries from kde . There's one nasty
problem remaining tho. The Yoper package can't import certain document
formats right now ( *.doc , *.xls ... ) right now.

OpenOffice comes with around 115 MB and also has lot's of additional
i18n available. So far I haven't found serious issues with the latest
build. Apart from the fact that it should be repackaged a bit (1
instead of 10 core packages ... ) .

The latest local (regular ) ISO including the kernel source has 708
MB. That's pretty much the limit for an 1 CD version.

What do you guys think should we do ? Should we rework the package
selection on the ISO and include OO instead of koffice ? That
potentially means also loosing another 50 MB of packages. Or should we
have a go at koffice trying to fix it and keeping OO only on DVD?

regards

--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Linux Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.