From: "Tobias Gerschner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Carlos López" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: yoper-dev@lists.yoper.com
Subject: Re: [yoper-dev] RC1 Feedback / Bug squashing irc day
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 19:03:40 +1200

2007/5/21, Carlos López <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hi Tobias and others,

The proposed meeting time is fine to me. I also agree with the fact that we
need to reach some agreements about how to deal some issues regarding the
forcoming Yoper RC2 release.

Looking forward to your input :) .

 In keeping the hplip package build, well, at the beginning
I was in charge of it but it caused some serious build problems and Melideux
(and you) gave me a hand unsuccesfully. I suppose I'm still the man in
change, thus I'll look into it...

I have improved the rpm find-requires script to not get confused
anymore. I put up a test spec into dynamite for hplip. Because we're
so late in release cycle all new packages are supposed to go now to
dynamite first. Only minor changes in rocketfuel now. Guess we should
setup some guidelines / simple rules for this.

I'll give it another try then today...

In keeping the boot scripts, I'm also trying to fix the localization
support, but it's being more complicated than expected, because I don't get
variables keep exported in the environment. After the "INIT entering
runlevel 5" message (more or less), all variables exported in the rc.sysinit
are removed and I haven't found a way to force them to keep globally
accesible in the system. Once this is fixed, it would be nice to include
some sort of screen in the installer to let the user choose his/her language
from the very beginning.

How about using some config file like /etc/sysconfig/i18n ?

Well, it sounds good to me. FC6 and Knoppix seem to do this. However, the problem I have is that I don't find a way to keep exported variables permanent in the system environment so all apps can see the LANG and LC_* variables. Any idea about why they are removed? I figure out it must be because I'm not doing this in the right context or on a high enough in the process tree script.

Regarding other scripts, I would suggest to break down the monolitic scripts
into small scripts easier to manage and maintain. I have also seen same
things are sometimes done over and over. Oh well, quite a lot of work ... I
need to organize my TODO list in a better way... :-S

Good idea that I'd keep in mind for 3.
Well, that's all for the moment being... oh, one more thing, you know what?
Yoper rocks!! :-D

Best regards.

>From: "Tobias Gerschner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "Yoper Development List" <yoper-dev@lists.yoper.com>
>Subject: [yoper-dev] RC1 Feedback / Bug squashing irc day
>Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:53:05 +1200
>
>Hi,
>

>It seems like we squashed the majority of the showstoppers. We had -
>until now - little less than 3000 (unique IP) downloads on our 2
>servers. No idea, whether and how many downloads happened on the
>mirrors.
>
>There are certainly some issues and I am going to address them if I
>can, but at least it doesn't look like ppl run into serious problems.
>
>I'd like to have 1 day/ evening this week where the packagers could
>meet and do some bug / package squashing in IRC. The main reason is to
>get some more default / useful packages into Yoper.
>
>Working on the remaining stuff together would be quite fun I guess.
>And we would have it done rather quickly when helping each other.
>
>The list of things that could be done are :
>
>There are a few issues that should be addressed:
>
>packages:
>
>1.- Localization support
>2.- Boot script , boot time enhancements
>3.- hplip hijs support to rocketfuel (2 packages in svn here, Musikolo
>+ Melideux, who's in charge here ? )
>
>installer:
>
>1.- only adding windows system partitions
>2.- recognizing other linux distribution installations
>
>... to be completed
>
>I want to break things down nicely so that we can have an updated RC
>next weekend. But this only works if we all work together. I will
>focus on improving the installer bits and are available for helping on
>packaging issues in general. But I cannot package any more packages .
>
>So I suggest 23rd of May , 9 p.m. CET. That gives us 2 - 3 hours. If
>we're well prepared we can achieve quite a bit and. I could ask , but
>we won't get all together anyway. So please tell me, whether you can
>attend this meeting and what you'd like to work on.
>

>Waiting for your feedback ...
>

>regards
>
>--
>Tobias Gerschner
>Member of Board of Yoper Linux Ltd. NZ
>
>Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.

Grandes éxitos, superhéroes, imitaciones, cine y TV...
http://es.msn.kiwee.com/ Lo mejor para tu móvil.

--

Acepta el reto MSN Premium: Correos más divertidos con fotos y textos increíbles en MSN Premium. Descárgalo y pruébalo 2 meses gratis. http://join.msn.com?XAPID=1697&DI=1055&HL=Footer_mailsenviados_correosmasdivertidos