Good Morning,

I've been extensively testing a large chunk of updates in order to
give Yoper the edge again that it used to have. The smart software
channel is here and can be found here :

[yoper-updates]
type = apt-rpm
baseurl = http://development.yoper.com/pub/buildresults/tmp/yoper-updates/
components = alpha

The updates include

- kernel 2.6.29-rc7 with the commonly included patches for TuxOnIce,
Reiser4, aufs2 etc... . It is also tuned by a default for better
desktop responsiveness.
- recent snapshot from the upcoming mesa_7_4 release
- most recent xorg-server + intel drivers from git. , further video
drivers will be added by request ASAP
- kde snapshot from the kde 4.2 branch built against qt 4.4.3
- broadcom sta wireless drivers

I'd like to get as much feedback as possible before introducing these
packages into the stable branch.  The currently known issues that
block inclusion are:

- yaird is not able to generate initrd image from the current
installation cd ( alternatives needed ) , thus rendering the
installation cd useless
- the xorg-server crashes when ending a desktop session

The benefits are :

- lots of new hardware support ,
- significantly improved desktop experience
- knetworkmanager works again for KDE3 + KDE4

Further updates will be available through this channel as well. The
plan is to merge these updates as soon as the 2 release blockers are
sorted and the kernel 2.6.29 is released.

Any input appreciated .

--
Tobias Gerschner
Yoper Linux - www.yoper.com

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.