CNN.com

Canada's Harper doubts Afghan insurgency can be defeated

    * Story Highlights
    * Prime Minister Stephen Harper: "We are not going to ever defeat the
insurgency"
    * Canada's parliament has voted to pull its troops from Afghanistan by 2011
    * Harper says he supports President Obama's "renewed commitment to
Afghanistan"
    * But Harper says he won't recommit more troops until there's a clear plan
for leaving

(CNN) -- U.S. and NATO forces are engaged in a futile war against the Taliban
insurgency in Afghanistan, Canada's prime minister said.

"We are not going to ever defeat the insurgency," Stephen Harper told CNN's
Fareed Zakaria in an interview that aired Sunday. "Afghanistan has probably had
-- my reading of Afghanistan history -- it's probably had an insurgency
forever, of some kind."

Harper's blunt assessment comes as nearly 2,800 Canadian forces are fighting in
Afghanistan. The country's parliament has voted to pull them out by 2011.

Harper spoke with Zakaria last week after a visit by President Obama, who made
Canada his first foreign trip since taking office in January. Obama has said
Afghanistan is the central front to the U.S.-led war on terror.

The Pentagon is in the process of sending an additional 17,000 troops to
Afghanistan, bringing the total there to 55,000.

Harper told CNN that he supports Obama's "renewed commitment to Afghanistan"
but said he would not recommit any more Canadian troops until there is a clear
plan for leaving Afghanistan.

"What has to happen in Afghanistan is, we have to have an Afghan government
that is capable of managing that insurgency and improving its own governance,"
Harper said.

"If President Obama wants anybody to do more, I would ask very hard questions
about what is the strategy for success and for an eventual departure."

All AboutStephen Harper • Canada • Afghanistan

Links referenced within this article

Canada
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Canada
Harper
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Stephen_Harper
Afghanistan
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Afghanistan
Stephen Harper
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Stephen_Harper
Canada
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Canada
Afghanistan
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Afghanistan

Find this article at:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/02/canada.afghanistan/index.html

Click Here to Print
     SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close
 Uncheck the box to remove the list of links referenced in the article.

� 2008 Cable News Network.

Jusfiq Hadjar gelar Sutan Maradjo Lelo

Allah yang disembah orang Islam tipikal dan yang digambarkan oleh al-Mushaf itu
dungu, buas, kejam, keji, ganas, zalim lagi biadab hanyalah Allah fiktif.

Kirim email ke