Saya sependapat dengan saudara Lingga, dibawah ini landasan prinsip Gusdur.

Satu artikel lagi, tentang dialog antariman, satu lagi, tulisan Muqtedar Khan.

(entah kuota posting saya masih ada atau tidak, tapi kan saya moderator hehe)

Pada tahun 628M, delegasi Nasrani mengunjungi Nabi Muhammad dan meminta
perlindungan. Dan inilah janji Rasul yang mulia itu kepada umat Kristen:

"This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt
Christianity, near and far, we are with them.

Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because
Christians are my citizens; and by God! I hold out against anything that
displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be
removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to
destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything
from it to the Muslims' houses.

Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His
Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that
they hate.

No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are
to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to
take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her
church to pray. Their churches are to be
respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the
sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day
(end of the world)."

Buat Rekan Muslim :
Masihkah kita berharap syafaat Rasulullah di Padang Mahsyar nanti, ketika
gereja-gereja tidak dapat kita lindungi?

salam,

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=36388

First Published 2009-12-28
Prophet Muhammad’s Promise to Christians

The document is not a modern human rights treaty but even thought it was penned
in 628 A.D. it clearly protects the right to property, freedom of religion,
freedom of work, and security of the person, says
Muqtedar Khan.

Muslims and Christians together constitute over fifty percent of the world and
if they lived in peace, we will be half way to world peace. One small step that
we can take towards fostering Muslim-Christian harmony is to tell and retell
positive stories and abstain from mutual
demonization.

In this article I propose to remind both Muslims and Christians about a promise
that Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) made to Christians. The knowledge of this promise
can have enormous impact on Muslim conduct towards Christians. Muslims
generally respect the precedent of theirProphet and try to practice it in their
lives.

In 628 AD, a delegation from St. Catherine’s Monastery came to Prophet Muhammed
and requested his protection. He responded by granting them a charter of
rights, which I reproduce below in its entirety. St.
Catherine’s Monastery is located at the foot of Mt. Sinai and is the world’s
oldest monastery. It possesses a huge collection of Christian manuscripts,
second only to the Vatican, and is a world heritage site. It also boasts the
oldest collection of Christian icons. It is a treasure house of Christian
history that has remained safe for 1400
years under Muslim protection.

The Promise to St. Catherine:

[...]

The first and the final sentence of the charter are critical. They make the
promise eternal and universal. Muhammed asserts that Muslims are with
Christians near and far straight away rejecting any future
attempts to limit the promise to St. Catherine alone. By ordering Muslims to
obey it until the Day of Judgment the charter again undermines any future
attempts to revoke the privileges. These rights are inalienable. Muhammed
declared Christians, all of them, as his
allies and he equated ill treatment of Christians with violating God’s covenant.

A remarkable aspect of the charter is that it imposes no conditions on
Christians for enjoying its privileges. It is enough that they are Christians.
They are not required to alter their beliefs, they do not have to make any
payments and they do not have any obligations. This is a charter of rights
without any duties!

The document is not a modern human rights treaty but even thought it was penned
in 628 A.D. it clearly protects the right to property, freedom of religion,
freedom of work, and security of the person.

I know most readers, must be thinking so what? Well the answer is simple. Those
who seek to foster discord among Muslims and Christians focus on issues that
divide and emphasize areas of conflict. But when resources such as Muhammad’s
promise to Christians are invoked and highlighted it builds bridges. It
inspires Muslims to rise above communal intolerance and engenders good will in
Christians who might be nursing fear of Islam or Muslims.

When I look at Islamic sources, I find in them unprecedented examples of
religious tolerance and inclusiveness. They make me want to become a better
person. I think the capacity to seek good and do good inheres in all of us.
When we subdue this predisposition towards the good, we deny our fundamental
humanity. In this holiday season, I hope all of us can find time to look for
something positive and worthy of appreciation in the values, cultures and
histories of other peoples.

Dr. Muqtedar Khan is Director of Islamic Studies at the University of Delaware
and a fellow of the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding.

MILIS MAJELIS MUDA MUSLIM BANDUNG (M3B)
Milis tempat cerita, curhat atau ngegosip mengenai masalah anak muda dan Islam.

Sekretariat :
Jl Hegarmanah no 10 Bandung 40141
Telp : (022)2036730, 2032494 Fax : (022) 2034294