That's hard to answer since the instrumentals are usually surrounded by
vocal tracks. I must say, though, that I don't think any of Zappa's stuff is
normal, unless you're comparing it to other Zappa pieces, which you might be
doing. (In fact, you probably are.) Thought it's not restricted to the early
'80s, Strictly Genteel might provide some of what you crave. Man From Utopia
has Moggio, one of my favorites, and We Are Not Alone (less interesting) and
Drowning Witch has TONS of good instrumental shit on it, what with the title
track and Envelopes. I'd go one more and say Teenage Prostitute, too,
because it's abnormal even within the framework of Frank's output, despite
the vocals.
Hoping to have provided some degree of help, Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pKxVKC/UOnJAA/n1hLAA/jGKolB/TM