That sounds about right.  I just listened to it again, it could very
well be just a plain saxophone, but electrified and jazzed up.

Just found this link too (you've probably all seen this already)
that adds a bit to my listening experience of King Kong :)

http://www.militantesthetix.co.uk/zappo/kingkong.htm

--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, "pbuzby2002" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> The credits mention that Bunk plays "electric-depending" woodwinds
at
> times - this is one of those, I think, since it produces tones in
two
> or three different octaves at once.  He also plays this for a few
> seconds on "Uncle Meat: Main Title Theme", btw.
>
> Pat Buzby
> Chicago, IL
>
> --- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, "SOFA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "The Gardiner Varieties"; I'd wager that it's Bunk playing
Bassoon
> that's tickling your fancy so...
> > SOFA

Now
> >   > want
> >   > > to hear it again!!
> >   > >
> >   > > But what IS that sound?  It's so funky...
> >   > >
> >   > > Thanks for the compliments on my site!  I had forgotten
all
> >   about
> >   > > it...  It's been a while since I've made any updates to
it...
> >   > >
> >   > > Kelly
> >   > >
> >   > >
> >   > >
> >   > > --- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, chris
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >   > > wrote:
> >   > > > Which version of King Kong do you refer to? The Uncle
Meat
> >   > version?
> >   > > > Chris
> >   > > > PS Nice web site ye have Kelly!
> >   > > >
> >   > > > Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >   > > > Hey all.
> >   > > >
> >   > > > What instrumention does FZ use in King Kong?  We were
> debating
> >   > > this
> >   > > > last night, thought it might be a wind instrument.  But
it
> >   > sounds
> >   > > > electronic to me.  Not like an EWI though, more like a
> >   > > synthesizer.
> >   > > > Or a muted baritone sax, or even (gasp!) a bassoon...
But