According to Gawker.com, long-running rock publication Circus has
closed its doors. Circus Publisher and Editor-in-Chief Gerald
Rothberg has sent the following magazine-closure e-mail to the
publication's contributors:

"It is with sadness and a deep sense of loss that I must inform you
that I've experienced great financial loss, which includes Circus
magazine. Over the last year, I've tried my best to hold on to
Circus mag, selling all my personal possessions, including my home,
pumping the money into the mag. And I've lost all. I've held off
contacting people because of the shame and humiliation I've
experienced. I'm broke. I feel like Humpty Dumpty who had a great
fall.

"Circus magazine is in foreclosure. Will the magazine be
resurrected? I don't know. If it will appear on the newsstands
again, we'll find out. Let me say this now, I appreciate and I am
grateful your contributions all these years and wish all my
freelance contributors the best of health and success."

According to RockCritics.com, Rothberg started Circus in 1966 under
the title Hullabaloo. In the almost 40 years since, Circus has been
many different kinds of music publication. It started out as a
general interest rock magazine, running stories on classic rockers
such as the DOORS, GENESIS, and GRAND FUNK RAILROAD. Later, Rothberg
realized that his target audience — teen boys — loved to read about
their favorite rock stars over and over, month after month. So when
a band like KISS hit, they were one of Circus's biggest cover stars.
Circus covered all kinds of rock and pop music but always featured a
large number of heavy metal and hard rock bands in its pages.

Following an unpopular move to a pop culture weekly in the mold of
People in the late '70s, Rothberg went back to a monthly format and
started to get back to the hard rock and heavy metal stars that made
his magazine sales soar. Rothberg's lean toward those kind of acts
paid off big time in the '80s when the hair metal explosion hit.
Month in and month out, it was DEF LEPPARD, VAN HALEN, and BON JOVI
on the covers. The hair metal years in the '80s were Rothberg's most
profitable for Circus. When grunge hit in the '90s, Circus got
confused and lost its focus (even putting rappers ARRESTED
DEVELOPMENT on the cover one month — and getting tons of hate mail
in the process).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/yXLolB/TM