[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello, my name is Michael Smith and I'm new here. I'm a huge Zappa
> fan, my alltime favorite, and I'me very into his music and
> personality.

Hi, Michael! Welcome aboard.

> There is one thing I don't understand about the song "St. Alfonzo's
> Pancake Breakfast". On Apostrophe it's only 1:50 minutes long.

In pretty much every other performance of the song, it isn't a whole lot
longer than that. In 1974, part of the song was performed slower, but
what's there is there. "St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" is no more and
no less than the composition you hear on Apostrophe(')

> However, the live 1978 version I found on YouTube is over 7 minutes
> long and one of Zappa finest moments (in my opinion).

Some details about the video you saw on YouTube would be helpful, but
I'm going to take an educated guess and say it was probably from the
1978 Saturday Night Live performance. As for the length of the
performance, there's the improvised portion including the appearance by
John Belushi. But also keep in mind that the song performed isn't "St.
Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast", it's actually "Rollo". Yes, the piece of
music at the beginning of the song appears in "Pancake Breakfast", but
that is a piece known as "Rollo Interior", which was originally written
for and performed as part of the song "Rollo" on the second 1972 tour
(the "Petit Wazoo" band).

> There's also a
> live version on Saarbrucken 1979 but it's expensive and the quality
> isn't the best.

1978, actually. The sound quality isn't that great and, in my humble
opinion, isn't really worth owning. There are certainly many better, and
better sounding, performances by the same band (fall 1978 / spring 1979)
available for free if you know where to look.. :)

--Milhouse

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: