1. Thanks.
2,3. That is correct, zathura-git pulls girara.git's develop branch and
links it with gtk3 (package girara-gtk3-git).
In that case, the index colors mode could well be due to an issue with
girara.
Should I file a bug report or is this mail sufficient?
4. Since  you mentioned a restructuring in girara's theming, there is one
more thing.
There is a separator that appears in 2 places: around the input buffer in
the statusbar, and between commands and descriptions in the completion menu.
I am not sure anymore, as I am becoming more accustomed to the new look,
but I think that previously it was not visible (it had the same color with
its surroundings), but after the change to develop branch it became visible
as it is currently black.
It can be witnessed with the following rc:

set completion-bg                "#232323"
set completion-fg                 "#707070"
set completion-group-bg      "#C0C0C0"
set completion-group-fg       "#DEDEDE"
set completion-highlight-bg  "#336600"
set completion-highlight-fg   "#232323"
set inputbar-bg                      "#131313"
set inputbar-fg                       "#9FBC00"
set statusbar-bg                     "#200000"
set statusbar-fg                      "#FFFFFF"
set statusbar-h-padding         2
set statusbar-v-padding         0

Thank you for responding.