Huh. I hate to ask what an ETA looks like, but is this immanent or a someday thing? I wasn't even aware there was a GTK port in the works.

In the mean time I'm wondering if there isn't a way to hack this in. Since this is machine specific anyway I'm totally okay with compiling my own copy from source and running that. I looked around earlier today in the source repo but wasn't able to locate any since place where the code could be easily hacked with a multiplier, but I have to imagine this exists somewhere and that a simple source code change could hard code the relative scale on the canvas.

Know where that might be?

Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
On 2015-10-10 10:15:11, Caleb Maclennan wrote:
I'm using Zathura (using the MuPDF plugin) to review various layouts for
printing.  It's important to me that I'm looking at things approximately the
same size as they will come out on paper.  I realize the difference between
screen pixels and how things look in print will still affect perception, but
to save test prints while I rough out margins and trim sizes I want to be
able to hold up a paper to the screen and have it match the on-screen
canvas.

Zathura's default zoom level (100%) is anything but actual size for my
particular hardware configuration.  In fact it's off by almost ⅓.  If I set
the zoom to 133% I get something very close to actual size.  How do I make
this the default zoom level? I would like everything else to scale against
that so that 50% is actually half size, etc.  Is there a way to calibrate
the settings to my monitors—some sort of scale factor setting perhaps?

Interestingly, Evince seems to know something about my monitor size because
it scales things exactly right out of the box.  100% turns up on my monitor
as exactly the right paper size (actually it's off by a smidgen, 100.5% is
more like it but it would be close enough).  On the other hand Acroread is
off by a mile, but in the opposite direction as Zathura.  There, a value of
87% works out about right—actual-size is actually jumbo scale.

How does Zathura decide what size to show at all? Is there a way to fix this
so 100% is actually actual-size? Is there a system DPI value that can be set
that will calibrate this?

At the moment zathura isn't considering the DPI value at all and this is causing
the symptoms you see. However, libzathura-gtk already considers the DPI value.
So once we switch zathura to libzathura-gtk, this should work as expected.

Cheers
--
Sebastian Ramacher