In the interests of getting people to read this, hopefully I can keep
this short.  Fair warning, though.  I'm extremely excited.

Ok.  I'd just about given up on ZB, but I knew there had to be a way
to make it work for me that was obvious and I was missing.  I've been
brainstorming with Richard for the past few days, and I found it.
Combine a Roux start (two 1x2x3 blocks) minus 1 pair.  Use VHF2L to
insert that pair, flipping all of the edges either to solved or to 3
incorrect edges on top.  After that, use COLL to solve corners, and
you're left with 6 edges to permute.  30% of the time, you get 1 of
the DF or DB edges solved, and you're left with an L5E alg.  The rest
of the time, you can just finish the cube as in normal Roux solves for
a very efficient finish.

Quick stats:
9/32 you can place the pair normally with no VH necessary
15/32 for a normal VH alg
8/32 give you a VH alg with a D edge to flip*
~1/8 you'd get an orient skip completely
~7/8 orienting would be 3 moves
3/10 for an L5E finish (~8 average)

Based on what we've tried so far, I think the average for this could
be very low, given the freedom in constructing two blocks to start.
Assuming the last pair doesn't average too many moves, this method is
solid.  For a while earlier, I was averaging >45 moves on slow solves
(and my two blocks stage is atrocious).  Non-lucky 35 move solves are
nice, too. :)

Crap.  This is getting long.  :P  Anyway, I was wondering whether
Chris or Doug would have time to look into using ACube to find some
nice cases for this.  If this pans out, expect results. Please and
thank you ahead of time, if anyone does.

-Mike

Yahoo! Groups Links