On 8/24/20 11:49 AM, Johanna Amann via zeek-dev wrote:
* Testing:

   Currently, some of the policy scripts have tests that use Zeek
   functionality in rather unique ways / or are the only tests for some
   Zeek functionality. The SSL validation scripts are one example.

   This, from my point of view, it would be neat to have a way to still
   easily install a rather large set of packages (potentially nearly
   everything that is in policy at the moment) and run test on them.

On a related note, I think it would be quite helpful if the Zeek install tree would include some of the standard btest helpers, such as random.seed and the various canonification scripts.

   This also comes with a fun problem. Sometimes we perform changes to Zeek
   that change a lot of the test baselines - especially when we touch
   something that affects connection-ID hashing, or the order of elements
   in hashmaps. These cases might now require an update to the test-cases
   in a large number of packages. It would be neat to have an easy way to
   perform this.

I agree that this would be really handy. We could build some tooling that would still let you maintain the packages as individual repos but that enables such use use cases. It'd be pretty handy to have a zkg command that clones a given package plus all of its dependencies for development work, for example. Since zkg already speaks git rather well, it could even synthesize a submodule structure.

Thanks,
Christian