Hi all,

Please don't take this as ranting or any personal attack, but I have a
few issues I think I need to bring up regarding the Zeitgeist Engine
development - at least for making it possible for people in similar
situations as me to participate. This email is motivated by the fact
that I used almost all of the development time I had for today trying
to catch up with changes and fixing the collection of regressions that
had sneaked in since my last pull.

 - Commit messages, can we please write usable commit messages. It is
very hard to keep track of the changes for people like me who can't be
online all the time. Commit logs is my primary way to understand what
has happened since my last pull. Write a line about each change you
have made - not one line about the entire commit.

 - Testing, if one is doing non-trivial stuff in the engine.py and
base.py modules for which we actually have unit test, please assert
that these tests pass before you push your code. On my last update
ZeitgeistEngine.insert_item() and get_item() where broken - which is
silly because they are tested by test/zeitgeist-engine-engine-test.py.

Unit tests:
Here's how to run the unit tests in the test/ dir. Simply run:

  test/zeitgeist-engine-base-test.py

and/or:

  test/zeitgeist-engine-engine-test.py

I will not force everyone to write unit tests for everything (although
I would like that - that's no secret :-)), but let's at the very least
use those we have. When Zeitgeist really takes off we are going to
deal with _crucial_ user data. If the Zeitgeist core is not *rock
solid* and people loose data at odds, then we are in for a heck of a
ride and Zeitgeist will loose users fast...

--
Cheers,
Mikkel