I will start hacking on this again today, a plan to split it into two
parts.

1.) I will start with negation
2.) the next step is wildcards

There are still a few open question to me:

wrt 1.)
   * for which fields do we allow negation?
      - Subject.{Uri, Interpretation, Manifestation, Origin, Mimetype}
        (Text is too expensive, and Storage make no sense as we have an Enum
for both cases)
      - Event.{Interpretation, Manifestation, Actor}
        (we do not allow searching by Id, we have different ways to query by
Timestamp)

wrt 2.)
   * we will only allow wildcard searches like "sometext*"; and not "some*xt"
or "*text"
   * Allowed fields for wildcard searches are:
      - Subject.{Uri, Origin, Mimetype}
      - Event.{Actor,}

        (in both cases Manifestation/Interpretation are covered by
expansion feature, I think allowing wildcards is not necessary)

Any comments?

--
Using filters (text match / exclusion / etc)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/485966

Status in Zeitgeist Framework: In Progress
Status in Zeitgeist Framework 0.3 series: In Progress

Bug description:
 - How can I get all events except those with interpretation VISIT_EVENT?

 - In case you give me above the awful answer "looking for all interpretations
except VISIT_EVENT", how can I get all events except those from application
"firefox.desktop"?

 - How can I get all those events whose URI ends with "myfile.txt"?

- And those events whose title contains "zeitgeist"?