As I mentioned already on IRC, although I don't like the idea of having events
without a subject (because it's conceptual: "something is happening, but we
don't know what") I think this is the easiest solution for the usecase of a GIO
dataprovider which sits in the middle of the application which launches another
app and the new app itself.
And I also think that this solution is kind of abusing the actor field, I mean
it's not the app which is about to be launched which is doing something when
the event is triggered.

But the most important concern was raised by mhr3 on IRC: the fact that
events can have no subjects will most likely break some clients, because
until now the client can assume that each event has at least one
subject.

I would *really* like to take some time to discuss a more suitable
solution, but I understand that we might need to make some compromises
if we want to have such AppInfo.launch() dataprovider soonish

Markus

--
Refuses to log events without subjects
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/620109

Status in Zeitgeist Framework: New

Bug description:
Zeitgeist says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/zeitgeist/_zeitgeist/engine/main.py", line 497, in
_insert_event_without_error
    return self._insert_event(event, sender)
  File "/usr/share/zeitgeist/_zeitgeist/engine/main.py", line 508, in
_insert_event
    raise ValueError("Illegal event format: No subject")
ValueError: Illegal event format: No subject

If I send it an event without a subject. The reason why I am doing that is
because I am trying to log whenever an app is launched. Like for instance when
I launch the Gnome calculator. This way I can have "most popular apps" listings
and what not :-)

So my request: Can we lax the requirement for events to have a subject?