Thanks Siegfried for the clarification, I think I now understand what this bug
is all about.
But let me ask you one final question: how much is this related to autotools
vs. packaging.

Is this bug about making a package which installs the zeitgeist module for all
available py version?
Or should   ./configure; make; make install   do the same? If someone wants to
use the release tarball, can't we assume he knows about sth. like
$PYTHON=`which python2.5` ./configure; make; make install   ?

I propose this solution:
  * for the tarball we stay with the current solution, if some user wants to
install the zeitgeist module for some other version, he should define the
PYTHON envvar as desired
  * in the package we modify debian/rules in a way that the zeitgeist module is
installed for all available and supported python versions. As far as I
understand the packaging stuff `gnome-menus` is a good example of how rules [0]
should look like in this case.

[0] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/maverick/gnome-
menus/maverick/annotate/head:/debian/rules

** Changed in: zeitgeist

** Changed in: zeitgeist

--
Build Python module for all versions
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/596070

Status in Zeitgeist Framework: Triaged

Bug description:
We need to fix our autotools to install the Python module for all available
Python versions, not only the default one.