Ok, first of all, thanks Harald for the input and your offer, as much as I
appreciate it I don't think we really want to move to some random other build
system.
Installing gnome-common shouldn't be a problem for anyone, because this package
has no gnome specific dependencies.
A downside of moving to cmake is that (afaik) noone in our core team has
experience with cmake, which makes maintaining the build system hard for us.
If we decide to switch the build system (someone has to come up with a very
good reason in this bug, please) we should move to a system which is optimized
to what we need - building python packages, distutils seems to be the only
alternative for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/683280

Title:
  problem building from trunk in KDE

Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  New

Bug description:
  Building zeitgeist from trunk requires gnome-common since we use
gnome-autogen.sh
While this makes our lives easy in GNOME, KDE people don't really want to
install it. So there must be another way to build from trunk easily.
Building from a source package works. But again some devs want trunk. Lets make
this easier for them.