I'm having this zombie thingy also. But not always. Whenever this
happen, most of the time IT TOOK MOST OF MY CPU process time. Yes it is
harmless, but thing slowed down without any warning as it can happen any
time. I can't kill it, even logging out and back in doesn't help. A re-
boot is needed for it to go away.

Do I need this zeitgeist in Gnome Classic? If not how do I get rid of
it?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/739780

Title:
  Session starting with a zeitgeist-datahub zombie process

Status in Zeitgeist Framework:
  Fix Released
Status in Zeitgeist Datahub:
  Invalid
Status in “zeitgeist” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “zeitgeist” package in Unity Linux:
  New

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: zeitgeist

  To reproduce, either
  a.) Just start a desktop session
  b.) Kill the zeitgeist-daemon and manually run zeitgeist-datahub

  In both cases 'ps' reveals a zombie process:

  http://paste.ubuntu.com/583545/

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
  Package: zeitgeist-core 0.7-1
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Mon Mar 21 23:07:05 2011
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: zeitgeist
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2010-12-08 (103 days ago)