mike brown wrote:without something tangible like zazen practice to
underpin their experience they might miss the meaning of what just
happened to them and put it down to something mystical/imaginative/a
gift from God etc.>

I think that lots of other religions have similar states of
enlightenment or divine illumination. In sports, there is "In the
Zone" which is commonly referred to as when people who are
participating in sports perform at their highest personal levels due
to a unity of mental and physical concentration.

I think that satori is a lot more common than people think, and it is
experienced by many people at many different activities that have
nothing to do with zazen.