Bill: Missed out that posting explaining colloquialism named. Thank you for explaining it again. Mayka
--- On Sun, 24/10/10, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote: From: [email protected] <[email protected]> Subject: RE: [Zen] Questions, questions, question To: [email protected] Date: Sunday, 24 October, 2010, 11:55 Mayka, I think the explanation of what 'open a can of whoop-ass on you' has already been posted. It is a somewhat extreme colloquialism of American urban English that just means if he doesn't stop talking to you like that you'll 'punish' him somehow. It's meant to be funny - kind of. ...Bill! From: [email protected]> [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maria Lopez Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:27 PM To: [email protected] Subject: RE: [Zen] Questions, questions, question Bill: Thank you very much for the kindest of your post . I wouldn't say about me that there is no arrogance. There is sometimes arrogance in me specially when something irritates me. However in the case of posting to ED arrogance was not intended. My intention was to make ED react in his Buddha nature and this was my arrogance. He was right to point it out. My intention was a good intention but I lacked of the skill and instead I provoke in the reaction of his ego defending itself. He appeared to be fluid in his zen notions but somehow his mind was entangled and limited by it. Just wanted to help him to get out of that. I have a long, long way to learn from your skill and ability to communicate appropriately in a way that the talk is beneficial to the listener. On the other hand is true what you say and that the language is a huge barrier to communicate appropriately with others. They're not just the words of the language but also a way of doing that comes with different languages. Then there is the English Queen language and the American English very different though both are English Languages, plus all that expressions that can't be found in dictionaries. With a language comes also a culture and the soul of that culture. The English I learnt was the Queen English learnt through Cambridge University. This is a very standard English for foreign people. This Queen English didn't include many expressions that people use. By the way what does it mean the following expression?. ( I couldn't find in any phrases dictionary) : "she’s liable to put a big case of whoop-ass on you!" Really appreciate your kindest Mayka --- On Sat, 23/10/10, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote: From: [email protected] <[email protected]> Subject: RE: [Zen] Questions, questions, question To: [email protected] Date: Saturday, 23 October, 2010, 3:17 Ed, You observed and commented: > It does happens. Look into the soul of the post,specially love and with a bit > of luck you may understand what I meant by that. I experience your statement above as arrogant, condescending and insulting - but I acknowledge to myself that that's how *I* experience you - and so what? [Bill!] I understand that upon reading Mayka’s statement above you might see it as arrogant, etc… Mayka’s been on this forum for a long time and I think I can assure you that she is not any of those things. English is a second language for her (Spanish her first) and she sometimes uses English in ways that appear to native English-speakers to be abrupt, arrogant or even funny. I think it’s just because she has a good vocabulary but does not yet have the same ‘feel’ for the language as native-speakers. I speak two other languages (kind of) and speak Thai on a regular basis. I probably speak more Thai any given day than I speak English. Although I have a fairly broad vocabulary I sometimes say things in Thai that sound strange to a native Thai-speaker. This is because for new phrases or thoughts that I haven’t said or heard said before I just translate the English phrase word-for-word into Thai. Like saying ‘now the shoe’s on the other foot’ in Thai probably wouldn’t mean anything to a Thai. So, my advice is to give Mayka a very large amount of latitude on her phrasing, and approach all of her posts with a generous and positive attitude. Otherwise she’s liable to put a big case of whoop-ass on you! …Bill! __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5556 (20101022) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5558 (20101023) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5558 (20101023) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com
