Chris,

My responses are embedded below:

[Chris] Those are on my mental list of books I may eventually buy, but I
haven't got them yet. Are they worth reading, as books, did you find?
[Bill!] I did read them and like Red Pine's easy style of writing and
translating.

[Chris]Do you find you still read sutras much, or was it a limited phase of
your studies? Do you have favorites you reread?
[Bill!] I have read most all of the major sutras, and I have copies of most
of them on my bookshelf.  I don't read them over and over again, like
Christians, Jews and Muslims might read the Bible, Torah or Koran.  I mainly
just use them for references - like when someone posts something referencing
or quoting a sutra.  Then I can look up the reference or quote and read it
in a larger context to better evaluate what was said.

.Bill!

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone

On Oct 26, 2010, at 19:51, <billsm...@hhs1963.org> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I haven't read the HEART SUTRA by Red Pine, but I do own and have read two
> other books by Red Pine: THE ZEN TEACHING OF BOHIDHARMA and THE COLLECTED
> SONGS OF COLD MOUNTAIN.
>
> I have a book by Edward Conze entitled BUDDHIST WISDDOM that contains the
> Diamond and Heart Sutras.
>
> ...Bill!

Behalf
> Of ChrisAustinLane
> Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:17 PM
> To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
> Cc: <Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen and the Brain
>

> Thanks,
> Chris Austin-Lane
> Sent from a cell phone
>
> On Oct 26, 2010, at 3:25, <billsm...@hhs1963.org> wrote:
>
>> However, I encourage you and others to read and discuss it if you wish.
>
> Fortunately, the forum is an entertaining outlet for my writing and
reading
> desires without the give and take over an interesting book.
>
> If no one has read that book, another interesting book i have recently
> finished is the translation and explication of the Heart Sutra by Red
Pine.
> He places the Sutra in the context of the early Theravada school debating
> the early Mahayanists about the pervasiveness of shunyata. There was some
> Theravada school called the Sarvastivadins that more or less said
emptiness
> applied to our selves and our bodies and so on but not to enlightenment.
Any

database 5566 (20101027) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 5569 (20101027) __________