Hi Ed, Bill, I just remember reading somewhere, long time ago that Buddha literally means the awakened one. If I google the term for definition, I'd probably find something like this too (among others), which means that Buddha is the one who is awakened instead of direct experience.
So I think I'm going to skip all the definitions and allow this mind to perceive whatever is when reading your posts. Sound like a lot more fun :-) siska -----Original Message----- From: <[email protected]> Sender: [email protected] Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:25:33 To: <[email protected]> Reply-To: [email protected] Subject: RE: [Zen] Zen, Self, I, Me and Mine Ed, ‘One’ does not experience Buddha. The term ‘Buddha’ and ‘direct experience’ are the same thing. Buddha is direct experience. ‘One’ (self) is not present. …Bill! From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of ED Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:03 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen, Self, I, Me and Mine Whatever one experiences 'Buddha' to be. --ED --- In [email protected], <billsm...@...> wrote: > > Ed, > > Your question: "What on earth is not an illusion?" is what zen is all about! > > All thoughts and concepts of the discriminating mind (the rational mind that > creates dualisms such as self/other, subject/object and makes judgments such > as good/bad, right/wrong) are illusions. > > Only direct experience is not illusory. 'Direct' means before the > experience goes through the discriminating mind and gets processed there > (filtered, augmented, named, categorized, assigned a value, etc...). Zen > Buddhism calls this 'Buddha Mind' or 'Buddha Nature'. Joshu called it 'Mu' > and 'The Oak Tree in the Garden'. Ummon called it 'A Dried Shit-Stick'. > Gutei just held up his index finger. I call it 'Just THIS!'. > > So I now ask you: What is Buddha? > > ...Bill! __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5569 (20101027)__________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5569 (20101027)__________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5569 (20101027)__________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com
