Is that what people mean by karma?  I was taught that "karma" means
"action," and that the Buddha just meant that to be mean is an unpleasant
state to be in; the effect and the cause are indivisible, the very blindness
that pushes the brain towards being mean makes the heat of anger burn the
brain a bit.  When one is free enough from ego/blindness, the heat of anger
has space in which to dissapate harmlessly, and the more pleasant baseline
state of our brain is re-established.