ED,

I've embedded my responses below:

--- In [email protected], "ED" <seacrofter001@...> wrote:
> Bill,
> Does 'zen' involve just doing zazen (shikantaza) practice?

Yes.  My zen practice centers around shikantaza but is basically a practice to 
bring 'clear mind' or 'Buddha Mind' or 'direct experience of reality' 
experienced in shikantaza up off the cushion and into every area of my daily 
life.
 
> Are there any other recommendations, whether derived from Buddhism or 
> elsewhere?
No.  'Clear mind' is enough.  I certainly am aware of and appreciate many of 
the recommendations (teachings) of Buddhism, Christianity, other religions and 
other people; but all of these are for me just examples of what others have 
tried to communicate after experiencing 'clear mind'.  That's there experience. 
 I have my own.  I beleive they are the same experience, but I may choose to 
express mine differently.  In any event my experience is more valuable to me 
than reading or hearing about someone elses.
  
> Is a teacher or guide required?
Not required, but could be helpful in the beginning.  I was guided by two 
Japanese Zen Buddhist Roshis when I began.
 
> Is there any material on 'zen' on the Internet?
Sure.  It's all over the internet.  You can find it in Buddhist Sutras, 
Christian writings especially the teachings of Jesus, it's in Sufi writings and 
stories, it's expressed in a lot of poetry and songs, Ohso's writings are full 
of it.  I quote a lot of it in my posts from time to time.
 
> Are there currently any 'zen' teachers in the US that you are aware of?
I could truthfully say that everyone I meet is a zen teacher to me; but there 
are no 'official' zen teachers I know of.  Like I said earlier you could get 
started with any reputable Zen Buddhist or Chan teacher, or Christian or Jewish 
or Sufi teacher.  Just go through their teachings and in the end discard the 
religion-specific parts. 

> Thanks, ED
...Bill!



------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to