Sometimes in sangha discussions, on days with some newcomers about, or just in 
general, folks may talk about what brought them to the practice of zen.

"What drew you to practice?", is a common question at these times.

My answer usually was/is:

"The posture!"

Just always loved it.

And it seems that energy rises and blood pressure sinks, just sitting 
half-lotus, much less sitting zazen.

It's my 
TV-watching/book-reading/writing/'rithmetic/talking-on-the-ham-radio/hacking-on-the-corn-puter
 pose.  ;-)

First saw it on TV, demonstrated and taught by a philosopher from M.I.T., who 
sat lotus on his wooden office desk (while trying to teach Comparative Religion 
to engineers), on a "Yoga" program that the fellow had, in very early days, b&w 
TV, I think 1959, beamed out of New York City's Empire State Building 
transmitter.

Might have been Professor Huston Smith.

I was lucky.

"Ha!", funny, I thought as a kid.  Any kid can do that!  And it's true.  So, I 
did it.

I think I'd been doing it anyway; now I knew what to call it: "YOGA!"

HahaHa!

--Joe

PS (I've built low tables for myself to do work-stuff while floor-sitting, but 
you can also use table-easels for this if you are a Painter, and put them on 
the floor).

PPS E. g., Extremely nice! one, $20 US, and free shipping in USA:
http://www.amazon.com/Marquis-Artists-Easel-Art-Alternatives/dp/B002Y6CWCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1339794437&sr=1-1&keywords=table+easel



------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to