Jim,

There is nothing I am 'afraid' to tell you, nothing secret.  I could describe
in detail the teachings and techniques my two teachers used with me.  I do know
however they did not use those same techniques with everyone of their students,
and I know even if the same techniques were used they were seemingly 'tailored'
for each student, presumably to focus on the areas the teacher thought were the
ones holding this particular student back at certain points in time.  That
takes a skillful teacher.  That's not me.

Also, you don't really NEED any of these teaching techniques to realize Buddha
Nature.  Zazen is enough, and in fact zazen itself is not really 'required'.
Zazen itself is a teaching technique, but it is also an EXPRESSION of Buddha
Nature, as can be everything else you do such as sweeping the floor, washing
the dishes or canning marmalade.

I suggest you just sit.  It sounds like you've been instructed in that so take
advantage of that.

The way I was taught and that I taught was to:
- start by getting into a comfortable position that frees-up your diaphragm so
you can 'belly' breathe.  That's breathing using only your diaphragm as opposed
to moving your shoulders up and down or expanding your chest.  You should be
able to comfortably sit like this for at least 20 to 30 minutes although you
can work up to that.
- half-close your eyes (don't shut them) and lower your gaze to the floor to a
point about 1 or 2 feet in front of you.  Or you can sit facing a wall.  Let
you eyes 'un-focus', relax.
- start by counting your breaths.  Try to focus you entire concentration on
ONLY THE COUNTING - nothing else.  1 on an exhale and 2 on an inhale.  Count to
10.  If you loose count (start thinking about other things) or go over 10
(because you're not paying attention to the counting) just start over again at
1.
- when you can do that pretty well move on to counting 1 on an exhale/inhale
pair, and so on up to 10 as above.
- when you can do that pretty well, drop the counting and start just 'following
your breath'.  Just be aware of the breathing.
- when you can do that pretty well, drop the following of the breath.  Then
there is only emptiness.  Just THIS!

That's all there is to it!  When you get to Just THIS! you are doing what's
called in Japanese 'shikantaza'.  This is the state to which ALL OTHER ZEN
TEACHING TECHNIQUES (like koan study, chanting, bowing, meditative walking,
work detail, etc...) are trying to lead you.

I GUARANTEE you that if you sit shikantaza long enough you will realize Buddha
Nature.

This is the main method of Soto school of Japanese Zen Buddhism.  The Rinzai
sect focuses more on koans.  I've done both.  I've been told (or read) that
shikantaza is like walking around in a light mist for a long time and then at
some point you realize you're soaking wet.  Koan study is like being pushed
into a lake.  In both cases you become wet, but the first way is a gradual
transition which you can more easily integrate whereas the latter is a sudden
jolt in which you don't really know what just happened and takes more time
afterwards to integrate.

But the BEST ADVICE still is to seek out a qualified teacher with whom you can
have face-to-face contact.

...Bill!