sometimes it happens for me..and i feel.." where have i been"?..it is a good
place to be... but as you say the mind must quieten down.
 billllll are your sailing days over?
 did you step ashore in cuba?
.merle

Merle,

First of all - I want to tell you that whatever changes you made or different
actions you took in posting this post renders your post much more readable on
the website.  I hope you continue this way.

I did not sail all 7 seas,just one really - the Caribbean sea which includes
the Gulf of Mexico, Cuba, Haiti and the islands that curve southwest from there
towards South America.

Stopping, or at least slowing down, your chattering mind is exactly what zen
training is all about.  It's called the 'monkey mind' in a lot of zen
literature.  There are many techniques for that but the primary one is zazen
(zen meditation).  It starts out by concentrating on just a few things (like
counting your breathes 1-10) and ends up finally dropping all activity.  This
complete stillness is called 'shikantaza' and can be translated as 'just
sitting' and is also called 'clear mind'.

There are many websites that have good instructions on how to begin sitting
zazen, but the best way is always to find a zen center and go for a beginning
seminar and zazen instructions.

...Bill!