Merle,

"joe..what ignorance?...merle"

The reasons for the history of the celibacy of certain clergy in Christianity 
and Chinese Buddhism.  There is a history.  If you knew the history, and were 
not ignorant of the history, you would not say (have written) that their 
celibacy is "absurd".

That's all I mean to convey.

A small matter to undertake, to review and fathom the reasons and history.  But 
I understand you are not a reader.  Never mind, then.  In 100 years, you won't 
even remember this.

I don't take your comment as a disrespect toward Catholicism or to celibate 
Chinese monks and nuns, and this is why I say your comment was merely ignorant, 
and nothing more.  I don't believe you meant to express disrespect, cause harm, 
or discredit those traditions.

Of course, your opinion is your own.

But, "absurd" is not an opinion.  It is a technical term.  And you are wrong in 
using it.

--Joe

> Merle Lester <merlewiitpom@...> wrote:
>
> joe..what ignorance?...merle
>   
> Merle,
> 
> The concept of priests being celibate is surely not absurd.
> 
> I doubt the practice of it is, either.
> 
> It's true of priests and nuns in China, too.
> 
> Check the reasons for this history, and you'll understand the tradition(s) 
> better.
> 
> I accept your ignorance as just that, nothing more.
> 
> --Joe / sacred cat
> 
> > Merle Lester  wrote:
> >
> > edgar has no intentions of standing for pope... as if joe!
> > 
> > let's not be totally silly
> > 
> > the pope was in his counting house counting all his money and peeping from 
> > his watchtower who was making whoopee
> > 
> > the concept of priests being celibate is absurd!
> > 
> > against the grain of being human
> > 
> > there are only a handful of human beings who have no sex drive..
> > 
> > are they the lucky ones?



------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to