Mike,

Good, no imaginings.  Our Zen sesshin and Ch'an retreats are pretty severe.  No
nothing of *anything* allowed.  Except to be there in spades.  ;-)

That is the

True story.  ;-)

Sheng Yen's outfit her in the States regularly does 10-day sits at the retreat
center upstate in New York, at a place near Pine Bush.  I did two of them.
Only so few because this is their most recent regimen.  Seven days used to be
the canonical "canonical".

Canonical.

Way of training.  With Shih-fu.

Best!