Chris,

That's the theory, but it's only one of several types of first steps for
beginners to (hopefully) get a little satori experience by temporarily
exhausting their brains trying to figure out something that doesn't have an
easy solution.

The other approach is to actually SOLVE the koan and experience the Buddha
Nature in reality that way...

After that one eventually realizes that Buddha Nature is the essence of
everything including intellect...

Edgar