I think it runs immediatly, though I have seen it not run (or not finish and
not commit?) when there are large numbers of historical rows.... say millions.
This is just too many rows and so you can go in on the backend of the machine

mysql (get to the mysql prompt)
use events;
DELETE FROM history WHERE stateChange < DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 90 DAY);

You might want to test that with a select first, I have not tested the above.

I do not know what does the purging, off top of my head. Miracle of open source
allows you to go follow the trail in through the html, then the python, to see
what does it!

-Nick Yeates-

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.zenoss.com/viewtopic.php?p=38710#38710